Thursday, August 4, 2011

Make service an integral part or your life

I begin my day by asking myself the question, “How can I be of service to someone?” I have found this to be useful in reminding me of the multitude of ways that I can be helpful to others. When I take the time to ask this question, I find answers popping up all day long.

If one of your goals is to be of help to others, you will find the most appropriate ways. Your chances to be of service are endless. The key, I believe, is to remember that being of service isn’t a one-time effort. It’s not doing something nice for someone and then wondering why others aren’t being nice too, or doing things for us. Instead, a life of service is a lifelong process, a way of thinking about life. Does the trash need to be taken out? If so, go ahead and take it out even if it’s not your turn. Is someone you know being difficult? Maybe they need someone to listen to them.

I have learned that the best way to be of service is often very simple – it’s those little, quite, often unnoticed acts that I can choose on a daily basis.

I know that I have a long way to go toward my goal of becoming a more selfless person. However, I also know that as I have attempted to integrate service into my life, I have felt better and better. There is an ancient saying, “Giving is its own reward.” It’s really true. When you give, you also receive. In fact, what you receive is directly proportional to what you give. Everyone wins, especially you.

No comments:

Post a Comment