Friday, August 26, 2011

Let go of personality clashes

Invariably, as people share with me their list of grievances about their work, the subject of “personality clashes” is invariably brought to my attention.

People say things like, “I simply can’t get along with certain types of people,” and “Some personalities just don’t match mine.” The assumption is often made that certain personality types just don’t mix – shy people can’t get along with outgoing people, or sensitive individuals can’t work well with more aggressive people, to name just a few.

This is unfortunate because rarely can we pick and choose the types of personalities we work with. Instead, we usually get what we get. If we can’t rise above the assumptions regarding who can and can’t work well together, we’re out of luck, doomed to a life of frustration.

Letting go of personality clashes has made an enormous difference in my work life. I’ve been able to see that often it is to my advantage to work with people who are very different from me, and that ultimately it makes my work more interesting.

I suggest you take a similar look at your own personality clashes. Letting them go will take a huge weight off your shoulders!

No comments:

Post a Comment